Tight hamstrings are a common complaint among runners. Learn how to stretch your hamstring muscles with the help of a partner.
Time Required: Five Minutes
- Lie on your back.
- Raise one leg in air so it is nearly perpendicular with the ground and your body. Keep second leg straight on ground.
- Have buddy position him/herself so your raised leg is propped on their shoulder. Have him/her use one hand to hold around your shin and the other hand on the knee to help keep it straight.
- Have buddy lean slowly in to your raised leg for a 10-second count.
- Hold position after step three and then push raised leg in to buddy for 10-second count. (Buddy should support your push and provide negative resistance.) Do this for another 10-second count.
- Have buddy slowly lean in to raised leg to extend your stretch farther. Do this for a 10-second count.
- Buddy should slowly release resistance on leg.
- Switch legs and repeat.