Leg raises are an excellent way to strengthen the core muscles
as well as the muscles around the hip joint. This exercise is often done after knee and hip replacement surgeries as well as in patients with chronic back pain
. It is an easy exercise that can be done two to three times a day. Perform the steps below and learn how to add this beneficial exercise to your daily routine.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Sit semi upright with your legs straight out in front of you using your arms for support.
- Slowly lift one leg off the ground keeping the knee straight.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Slowly return the leg to the ground keeping the knee straight.
- Relax your muscles.
- Repeat with the same leg 10 times.
- Perform above steps with the opposite leg.
- Slowly inhale and exhale throughout the exercise.
- Do not raise the leg higher than 60 degrees off the ground.