Benefits of core strengthening include better posture as well as a decrease in back pain.
- Position yourself on the floor on your hands and knees with your back in a neutral position.
- Without moving, contracting the muscles of the back at the same time you are contracting your abdominal muscles keeping your spine in the midline position.
- Hold this posture.
- Slowly extend one leg straight out behind you while keeping your neutral spine position.
- Hold for five to ten seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat three more times with the same leg.
- Now perform steps four through seven with the opposite leg.