Core stabilization exercises are helpful for those with chronic back pain or weak abdominal muscles after pregnancy. By contracting both the back and abdominal muscles at the same time, core strengthening is achieved.
Benefits of core strengthening include better posture as well as a decrease in back pain.
Time Required: Ten Minutes
- Position yourself on the floor on your hands and knees with your back in a neutral position.
- Without moving, contracting the muscles of the back at the same time you are contracting your abdominal muscles keeping your spine in the midline position.
- Hold this posture.
- Slowly extend one leg straight out behind you while keeping your neutral spine position.
- Hold for five to ten seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat three more times with the same leg.
- Now perform steps four through seven with the opposite leg.